The first sunny days brightened up the country and summer is almost in sight. This week I discovered how fast the rhubarb in my garden had grown and was super motivated to create the first summer recipe of the season. That is why I am sharing a wonderful wrapped rhubarb cake recipe with you today!
I have a soft spot for rhubarb. It’s just like asparagus such a seasonal speciality. It barely has any calories and simply such a unique and awesome taste. I love that it grows right in my garden – fully organic.
I wanted to create something extremely special to celebrate the start into my favorite season of the year. Since I love rhubarb and also cheesecake I thought why not combine both of my addictions into one explosion of deliciousness and therefore created a wrapped rhubarb cheesecake.
What I love about this special cake is that it looks so beautiful with its subtle pink colors. Almost too beautiful to cut and eat. The rhubarb stalks give the wrapped rhubarb cake almost a bit of an ombré effect which is simply breathtaking.
This was the first time I made a more difficult recipe and it actually took me quite some time to prepare it. It is by no means a difficult recipe, but there are simply many different steps with a lot of waiting time in between. However, if you have time on the weekend this could be a super fun project for one of your mornings.
Most of the recipe consists of only mixing things together in a food processor. However there is one tricky part which is boiling the rhubarb stalks. The only super important thing is to not let them cook for too long or otherwise you will have rhubarb noodles 😀
Once you have the cake ready you need to make sure to slowly let it thaw in the fridge. Stil serve it cold and impress everyone at your summer party with this easy to make delicious and sugar-free cake!
Tip: Make sure you use a very sharp knife for cutting.
Let’s jump into the wrapped rhubarb cake recipe. You will see, it is easier than it looks! This recipe is adapted from Sprinklesbakes
- 1 cup packed pitted dates*
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews (covered with water and soaked for 8 hours)
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- Rhubarb Coating
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6-7 long rhubarb stalks
- In a food processor mix the dates until well blended. Put them into a bowl and set aside.
- Now blend the raw walnuts until you also have a very smooth mixture.
- Mix both parts together and press into the bottom of a silicone form. The crust should be around half an inch.
- Drain your cashews that have been soaking for at least 8 hours and combine them with all the other ingredients for the filling in a food processor. Make sure to mix them until you get a very smooth blend.
- Pour into the silicone form and freeze for 3 hours
- Now moving on to the rhubarb coating use a vegetable peeler and shave the rhubarb stalks into paper thin strips.
- Take a pot and let the sugar and water boil together. Don’t place more than three stalks in the water at the same time and only let them cook for about 20-30 seconds.
- Let the cooked rhubarb strips drain on a paper towel.
- To decorate the cake, lay the strips on top of the cake first until the whole surface is covered completely. Trim away the excess with kitchen scissors. Since the cake is frozen the stalks will stick perfectly onto the cake.
- Now wrap the remaining stalks around the cake. If your rhubarb has different shades of pink you can even create an ombre look.
- Place the cake in the fridge and let thaw. Cut with a very sharp knife.
- Don't cook rhubarb for too long.
I hope you enjoyed this wrapped rhubarb cake recipe and will try it yourself someday. In case you are looking for another vegan recipe I can recommend you check out my vegan waffles without sugar or my vegan avocado cheesecake.
DID YOU MAKE THIS WRAPPE RHUBARB CAKE?
Tag @carinaberry on Instagram and hashtag it #carinaberry
I’ll always be giving shoutouts on my Instastory for those who are making my recipes. <3